Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Woman Who Has Everything

What do you get the woman who has everything for a gift - NOTHING - you MAKE her something. About six years ago our family found out my mother in law had been diagnosed with Leukemia. She was told at the time that she would have perhaps 6 months to live. Understandably we were all devastated. I mourned for what my husband and his brothers would go through having lost my dad only two years earlier to heart disease. Through prayer and will-power my mom-in-law made it almost two years to the day she was diagnosed. As Christmas was just around the corner after we first found out, I set out to make her something that she would enjoy and be somewhat useful as well. My Mom-in-law was one of my biggest creative cheerleaders and she so enjoyed receiving something handmade from me. I found out afterward that she would boast to her friends about this or that that I'd made for her. It's always a great feeling to know that something you enjoy doing so much is appreciated by others. For that Christmas after her diagnosis I created this pretty little card box filled with a variety of cards, thank yous and blanks, that she could use to correspond with her friends around the country. 

Mom-in-Law was old school and you would often find her at the kitchen table, pen in hand, jotting a note to various friends and relatives. Words and prayers of encouragement filled many a card and note in her day. She was a strong woman in prayer, in friendship and motherhood. We miss her tremendously and when my father in law recently moved closer to us, I was the recipient of this pretty little card box. I found a note inside with her handwriting and was moved to remember her smile when she opened this gift, and  genuine heartfelt thanks. The battle with cancer is fraught with ups and downs and I hope this gift of the heart brought her more ups as she spread her joy of the Lord and life around her. She's been gone for 3 years now and I am once again 'keeper of the cards' - there are several left in the box, maybe it's time to start sending out happy notes to my friends and family across the country..... 

2 comments:

Welcome to my blog! said...

We need more stories like this. We are currently going through my father in-law battling cancer. Thank you Pam.

Pam Klassen said...

Aw I'm sorry to hear that. Sharing my mother-in-law's faith, family and favorites is a blessing to me. I really miss her (more than I thought I would...lol)